- I graduated from BSc Biological Science in the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST).
- Currently continuing my studies in the School of Biomedical Sciences as a PhD student.
- My research project involves the study of gastric dysrhythmia in a diabetic condition in zebrafish larvae.
- YIA Poster Presentation Award (1st Runner Up) at the East Meets West Symposium 2021, 23rd Diabetes and Cardiovascular Risk Factors
- Top 10 Most Popular Poster, SBS Research Day, 2022
- My research involves the characterization of gastrointestinal (GI) peristaltic movements in zebrafish larvae and compare with new and validated diabetic zebrafish models of DM. Both induced and genetically modified DM models will be used and validated using Body Mass Index (BMI) analysis, Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) and glucose assays.
- I hypothesize that incretins and their receptors are responsible for contractile differences in control and DM models, and that peristalsis and interstitial cells of Cajal (ICC) function may be restored in DM fish using incretin treatments.
- Our preliminary studies indicate except for overfed models (ED – excess diet), there are significant differences in BMI while high-fat diet (HFD) models showed highest area of adipose deposit in the GI. Motility analysis of untreated larvae showed that anterior regions of the GI tract had irregular waves; stronger spikes were seen in the mid-intestine and posterior region; however, recordings were contaminated with background noise.
- I proposed to continue to develop and validate the normal and DM models; characterise GI peristalsis and differentiate between control and models with/without drug treatments.
Fig.3. GI motility spatiotemporal maps (STMaps) using particle image velocimetry (PIV) in 5 - 7 dpf larvae fed with 75 µm Gemma diet at three separate regions. 5min time-lapses at 5 fps were taken using Olympus IX83 Inverted Microscope, at anterior region, mid-intestine and posterior end. Peristaltic contractions appear to become increasingly regular as the larvae develops from 5 dpf to 7 dpf, as more structural spikes can be seen in 7 dpf. Irregular motions in anterior region while stronger contractions in both mid- and posterior intestine are observed. However, the STMaps plotted contained heavy background noises, characterisations and baseline filtering would be required for future analysis and comparisons.